30 September 2008

this blog has too much video...



sam and i being inept graphic designers struggle with words to convey our wants/needs/feelings, so we find pretty pictures or videos far more effective... this man however does the word thing quite well. so in the interest of balance here is a snippet of the genius that is bikesnob NYC. i think a regular sample of his work may be in order.




"Recently I was riding through a trendy neighborhood in Brooklyn when I saw a guy locking his bike to a post. Naturally I quickly scan and assess any bike that enters my field of vision. This particular bike appeared to be a garden-variety 80s fixie conversion--with no brakes, of course. However, as my eyes made their way to the rear dropouts, I noticed something: a coaster brake, attached to the left chainstay with some metal wire.

Is this what people have come to? Are some people really so desperate to adapt the no-brake fixie look that instead of installing a decent caliper they will adapt perhaps the crudest braking system since the rod-operated spoon brake? Clearly, the rider I saw acknowledges the necessity of having a brake. Why not then simply affix a light, elegant, and powerful modern dual-pivot? I'd have to think a coaster brake-equipped singlespeed would stop even worse than a fixie with no brakes.

(And can somebody please explain to me why fixie riders who do have front brakes still skip-stop or skid in order to slow down? Do they give away free tires in Williamsburg or something?)"
(click for full post)


there we go. looks nice now... a little bit of a random snippet to be honest but i remember reading it last year and chuckling, i will be indeed looking through and pointing you to more articles soon. (in cronological order)

t

No comments:

160