04 February 2009

Rider Profile #1

Name: Sam Hodgson


Age: 26


From: Carlisle


Rides: 70’s L.F Wilson Track frame, Campag Record chainset, Velocity wheels, Nitto track bars


How would you describe your riding?

I don’t focus on any particular aspect of riding fixed gear. I’d just like to be a good all-rounder. A bit of everything is good.


PHOTO BY LIAM WALSH


What’s your favourite place to ride in Leeds?

Probably the hill on Blenheim Walk that goes from Hyde Park into town because that’s where you get a lot of speed, but the Royal Armouries is good if we’re having a chilled session.


You are one of the founders of LSF. How did it get going?

I was bored of riding by myself. Facebook was a good way of finding other riders in Leeds, so I set up a group. I met Marek by chance on Hyde Park corner and it seemed to blossom beautifully from there!


How do you see the Leeds fixed scene at the moment?

At the moment, most of the people I hang out with are all riders. We enjoy riding round town and having a few beers together. The atmosphere here is really chilled out.


How do you think it compares against big scenes like the on in London?

I’ve not experienced anything of the London scene, but from what I’m told, there is a small minority that own track bikes because they’re meant to be trendy, but don’t ride them. Up here everyone is really into their riding and we concentrate on that.


Where would you like to see the Leeds Fixed scene in a year?

I think it will go one-way or the other. If fixed gear becomes well publicised, I think it will become comparable to the skateboarding and bmx scene. It would be great to see more support and money going into the industry, but I don’t know how that will affect Leeds. I would hope that the northern cities; Leeds, Liverpool, Manchester etc would be represented a bit better.


There’s an Alley Cat taking place in Leeds on the 15th February. How’s the preparation work going for it?

Preparation is good! We had been talking about doing one for a long time, so we just set a date and took it from there. It was really stressful for a while but we’ve only got a few more things to sort out. We’ll see how it goes on the day. If people turn up, then it will be great.


Tell me about Oste-Kolo?

Its me and Mareks brand. We will be making simple things like t-shirts and doublizers; things that are easy to make. I don’t know how far it will go, its just a hobby and being from a design background its another output for creativity.


What do you do when you’re not riding?

I pretend that I’m a graphic designer and sit at my mac. Usually I’m just adding stuff to the blog, but sometimes I work in Harrogate if I’m lucky.

1 comment:

fixedgearleeds said...

haha. if i let you come and work!

~t~

160